Publications Michael S. Ariens
B.A., 1979, St. Norbert College
J.D., 1982, Marquette University
LL.M., 1987, Harvard University
- American Constitutional Law and History (Durham, N.C.: Carolina Academic Press, 2012).
- Lone Star Law: A Legal History of Texas (Lubbock, TX: Texas Tech University Press, 2011).
- Law School: Getting In, Getting Out, and Getting On (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2010).
- Religious Liberty in a Pluralistic Society, 2nd ed. (Durham, N.C.: Carolina Academic Press, 2002).
Articles and Essays:
- The Agony of Modern Legal Ethics, 1970-1985, 5 St. Mary's J. L. Malpractice & Ethics 134 (2015).
- Lost and found: David Hoffman and the history of American legal ethics, 67 Ark. L. Rev. 571 (2014).
- Teaching American Legal History Through Storytelling, in Teaching Legal History: Comparative Perspectives 32 (Robert M. Jarvis ed. Wildy, Simmonds and Hill Publishing 2014).
- The Collini Case: A Novel, by Ferdinand von Schirach, Federal Lawyer Online Book Reviews, April 2014, at 8 (book review).
- Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It's Intended to Help, and Why Universities Won't Admit It, by Richard Sander and Stuart Taylor Jr., Federal Lawyer Online, March 2014, at 1 (book review).
- A Death at Crooked Creek: The Case of the Cowboy, the Cigarmaker, and the Love Letter, by Marianne Wesson, Federal Lawyer, March 2014, at 78 (book review).
- Teaching American Legal History Through Storytelling, 53 Am. J. Legal Hist. 405 (2013).
- The Lawyer Bubble: A Profession in Crisis, by Steven J. Harper, Federal Lawyer, Oct./Nov. 2013, at 86 (book review).
- Inside the Castle: Law and Family in 20th Century America, by Joanna L. Grossman and Lawrence M. Friedman, The Federal Lawyer, August 2013, at 83 (book review).
- A Judge In Full: Wallace Jefferson of Texas, 75 Alb. L. Rev. 2151 (2012).
- ‘Playing Chicken’: An Instant History of the Battle over Exceptions to Client Confidences, 33 J. Legal Prof. 239 (2009).
- Simon Greenleaf, in YALE BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN LAW 234 (2009).
- Charles T. McCormick, in YALE BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN LAW 370 (2009).
- Edmund M. Morgan, Jr., in YALE BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN LAW 389 (2009).
- American Legal Ethics in an Age of Anxiety, 40 St. Mary’s L.J. 343 (2008).
- What Hath Faith Wrought?, 24 J. L. & Rel. 195 (2008-09).
- United States v. Cruikshank, in ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES (Gale Publishing 2008).
- The Storm between the Quiet: Tumult in the Texas Supreme Court, 1911-21, 38 St. Mary’s L.J. 641 (2007).
- Religion in the 19th Century—Bible Wars, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES (2006).
- The Ethics of Copyrighting Ethics Rules, 36 U. Toledo L. Rev. 235 (2005).
- Church and State in the United States, 1900-2001, in NEW CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA (2003).
- Religion in the Courtroom, in ENCYCLOPEDIA OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM (2003).
- Law School Branding and the Future of Legal Education, 34 St. Mary's L.J. 301 (2003).
- Forms of Legal Practice, in THE OXFORD COMPANION TO AMERICAN LAW (Oxford University Press 2002).
- Sole Practitioners, in THE OXFORD COMPANION TO AMERICAN LAW (Oxford University Press 2002).
- Paralegal and Legal Secretary, in THE OXFORD COMPANION TO AMERICAN LAW (Oxford University Press 2002).
- Church-State Constitutional Issues: Making Sense of the Establishment Clause, by Donald Drakeman; That Godless Court?: Supreme Court Decisions on Church-State Relationships, by Ronald B. Flowers (Book Review), 16 J. L. & Rel. 249 (2001).
- Defining ‘Church’ in American Law, in CHURCH AUTONOMY: A COMPARATIVE SURVEY (Gerhard Robbers ed. 2001).
- A True Crime, Int'l Commentary on Evidence, (May 1999).
- On ‘Doctrine’ and the Establishment Clause, in VOUCHERS FOR SCHOOL CHOICE: CHALLENGE OR OPPORTUNITY? AN AMERICAN JEWISH REAPPRAISAL (Marshall J. Breger & David M. Gordis eds. 1998).
- A Short History of Hearsay Reform, With Particular Reference to Hoffman v. Palmer, Eddie Morgan and Jerry Frank, 28 Ind. L. Rev. 183 (1995).
- Know the Law: A History of Legal Specialization, 45 S.C. L. Rev. 1003 (1994).
- A Thrice-Told Tale, or Felix the Cat, 107 Harv. L. Rev. 620 (1994).
- Wouldn’t You Like To Be an Expert, Too?, 18 Legal Stud. F. 221 (1994).
- Constitutional Law and the Myth of the Great Judge, 25 St. Mary’s L.J. 303 (1993).
- Progress Is Our Only Product: Legal Reform and the Codification of Evidence, 17 Law and Social Inquiry: J. Am. B. Found. 213 (1992).
- The Law of Evidence and the Idea of Progress, 25 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 853 (1992).
- Modern Legal Times: Making a Professional Legal Culture, 15 J. Am. Culture 25 (1992).
- Evidence of Religion and the Religion of Evidence, 40 Buffalo L. Rev. 65 (1992).
- Dutiful Justice, 22 St. Mary’s L.J. 1019 (1991).
- On the Road of Good Intentions: Justice Brennan and the Religion Clauses, 27 Cal. W.L. Rev. 311 (1991).
- Just a Bigger Fish, 15 J. Legal Prof. 329 (1990).
- The Politics of Law (Teaching), 13 Law and Social Inquiry: J. Am. B. Found. 773 (1988).
- Suicidal Rights, 20 Rutgers L.J. 79 (1988).
- A Uniform Rule Governing the Admission and Practice of Attorneys Before United States District Courts, 35 De Paul L. Rev. 649 (1986).