Publications for Stephen M. Sheppard
Stephen M. Sheppard
B.A., J.D., Cert. Int'l L., LL.M., M.Litt., J.S.D.
- Caperton, Due Process, and Judicial Duty: Recusal Oversight in Patrons' Cases, 46 Ark. L. Rev. 113 (2011).
- What Oaths Meant to the Framers' Generation: A Preliminary Sketch, 2009 Cardozo L. Rev. de novo 273.
- Teach Justice, 43 Harv. C.R.-C.L.L. Rev. 599 (2008).
- The Laws of War in the Pre-Dawn Light: Institutions and Obligations in Thucydides' Peloponnesian War, 43 Colum. J. Transnat'l L. 905 (2005).
- The Metamorphoses of Reasonable Doubt: How Changes in the Burden of Proof May Weaken the Presumption of Innocence, 78 Notre Dame L. Rev. 1165 (2003).
- Passion and Nation: War, Crime, and Guilt in the Individual and the Collective, 78 Notre Dame L. Rev. 761 (2003).
- Paul Dudley: Heritage, Observation, and Conscience, 5 Mass. Legal Hist. (2000).
- The Perfectionisms of John Rawls, 11 The Canadian J. L. & Jurisprudence 383 (1998).
- Casebooks, Commentaries and Curmudgeons: An Introductory History of Law in the Lecture Hall, 78 Iowa L. Rev. 547 (1997).
- The State Interest in the Good Citizen: Constitutional Balance Between the Citizen and the Perfectionist State, 45 Hastings L. J. 969 (1994).
- The Wolters Kluwer Bouvier Law Dictionary: Compact Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2011).
- The Wolters Kluwer Bouvier Law Dictionary: iApp (Wolters Kluwer, 2011).
- I Do Solemnly Swear: The Moral Obligations of Legal Officials (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Allan Farnsworth, Introduction to the Legal Systems of the United States (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Oxford University Press, 4th ed., 2010).
- Karl Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Oxford University Press, 2008).
- American Law in a Global Context: The Basics (Oxford University Press, 2005) (with George Fletcher).
- The Selected Writings of Sir Edward Coke (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Three Volumes) (Liberty Fund, 2003) (revised edition, 2005)
- The History of U.S Legal Education: Contemporary Essays and Primary Materials (Steve Sheppard, ed.) (Two Volumes) (Salem Press, 1998) (Lawbook Exchange, 2006).
Select Book Introductions
- "Sahib's Courts and Babu's Laws: An Introduction to Cowell's Short Treatise on Hindu Law" in Herbert Cowell, Short Treatise on Hindu Law (Lawbook Exchange, 2009).
- "The Works of John Selden: An Introduction for the American Reader" in John Selden, Opera Omnia (Lawbook Exchange 2008).
- "Law, God, Custom, and Duties in Sir William Jones's Ordinances of Menu: An Introduction for the American Reader" in William Jones, Ordinances of Menu (Lawbook Exchange 2007).
- "Guerrilla Parties, The Lieber Code, and the Law of War" in Francis Lieber, Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States (Lawbook Exchange, 2005).